Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Post 1: Are we ever really done?

This is my first blogging experience!  My friend and colleague encouraged me to join this challenge.  As a K-5 literacy coach, interventionist, wife, and  mother of three  I am very sure that it will be very difficult to squeeze one more thing into my already very crazy, busy life.  With that being said, I am always up for a challenge and am always encouraged to be pushed to "do better", especially in my professional life.

I encountered by first roadblock before I even began to write.  Yes, I was stumped with just coming up with a name for my blog!  My "half-way done" idea, came from a feeling I experience just about every day.  I am always working to complete a project at work or home and running to the next sporting event or practice without fully completing anything...or at least I feel that way.  The metaphor of a revolving door comes to mind, as I am running through what seems like a million data conferences, running to dance class, preparing March is Reading month activities, cheering at a basketball game, reading the last chapters of my book for my book club, preparing my lesson for tomorrow, fixing dinner, doing my last few running records, helping a teacher plan her lessons for tomorrow, washing up all the dishes and folding laundry at the same time, while listening to a webinar on how to prepare our students for our state standardized test...oh yeah, I forgot about helping out with long division, baths and talking to my husband about his day.

Wow, quite often at the end of a day, I wonder, "Did I get anything done today?"

                                                        

8 comments:

  1. You get more done than you realize. I so appreciate all the work you do for "us." I LOVE that you are jumping into this. That is really the only way to do it and you are once again proving you can walk the walk. Way to go. I am beyond proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you, my friend! I can relate to the revolving door feeling. That perfectly captures how I feel very often. I'm great at multi-tasking, but not as good at finishing all the tasks that line up on my to-do list each day. I think you handle all your jobs and wear all your hats well, and now you can add a new feather to one of those hats! I'm glad you joined in - this is truly an amazing experience. Welcome to slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title of your blog! I personally feel this way all the time! What have I done? Have I seriously just walked/talked in circles all day? This is my first year to join SoL, and I have only been blogging about a month. I, too, began blogging due to the encouragement of a friend/colleague. Can't wait to read your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the title of your blog! I personally feel this way all the time! What have I done? Have I seriously just walked/talked in circles all day? This is my first year to join SoL, and I have only been blogging about a month. I, too, began blogging due to the encouragement of a friend/colleague. Can't wait to read your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there's more there than you think new Slicer. Welcome to our writing world.
    Bonnie K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited that you decided to join! I know exactly how you feel because I never seem to get anything completely done and checked off the list. I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the SOLSC 2016, Kim! I think you're off to a great start--meaningful title (and not just for you, but I think for all busy educators!), and already picking up that what you are already doing is great material for writing. I joined the SOLSC on a whim four years ago, and have found that it has made me a better teacher of writing, and a better communicator overall. I'll be cheering you on this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think most of us can relate! But you will soon realize that this community of writers will lift you up beyond all words. Living the life of a writer provides you the opportunity to write, share, write some more, struggle and then celebrate! It's quite a journey! Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete